Saturday, November 6, 2010

savory saturday: pumpkin and red lentil soup

Ingredients:


1 T olive oil
1 long red chilli
1 onion
1 lb 2 oz butternut pumpkin
12 oz sweet potato
4 c vegetable stock
1/2 c red lentils
1 T tahini

Directions:

Chop onion, seed and chop red chilli, peel and cube pumpkin and sweet potato. Give pumpkin seeds to boyfriend to bake into a tasty snack. (The "chilli pepper" at the market looked suspiciously like a bell pepper, but I was not in a position to be picky, since there were no other options--pretty sure it wasn't a chilli.)

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and red chilli. Cook 2-3 min or until soft. Drinking wine while cooking = mandatory.

Reduce heat to low. Add pumpkin and sweet potato. Cook 8 min.

Turn heat to high. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 min.

Add lentils and cook 7 min, covered. (I didn't have red lentils, so I used ordinary, boring brown ones... still tasty!)

Blend soup in batches. Add tahini and blend until smooth. If necessary, reheat on stovetop. Serve hot with crusty bread.

Yum!

I added chili powder to the soup because I like things spicy, and it still didn't quite do the trick. Maybe if I had a real chilli pepper instead of an imposter pepper... oh well, next time! Another note: the soup is actually better on Day 2. Something about refrigeration really seemed to bring out the flavor!

4 comments:

  1. I love the mandatory drinking in this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good!! I might have to try and make this.
    ~Dana
    http://www.dailydoseofdana.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious! I think I may try to make it someone this week! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic! I wish I wasn't such a lazy cook sometimes. The mandatory drinking is about all I manage, usually...

    ReplyDelete