Thursday, January 26, 2012

in which to be is to grow

Photobucket

Do you know, in Sanskrit the root of the verb "to be" is the same as "to grow" or "to make grow".
(My Dinner With Andre)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



(dress: modcloth; hat: mad bomber; blouse: thrifted; shoes: seychelles)

Last night I watched "My Dinner with Andre" for the first time in my life, which is only embarrassing to admit because I was a film major and I'm supposed to be all over those cult classics. I was expecting some revelatory ideas, but to be honest it fell kind of flat in my estimation. Maybe five years ago I might have been affected or changed by it. I'm finding that a lot lately--so many things just seem so "been there, done that." Maybe it all just depends on the frame of mind I'm in at any given time. "The Artist's Way" was the first book in a long time (I think since I finally read "Walden" last winter) that really felt life-changing, and that was mostly just because it forced me to actively admit what I already subconsciously knew (that maybe art isn't all about passion and pain and madness).

Anyway, I just think it's interesting how quickly our minds can advance, if we encourage them to do so. I was thinking recently about my high school and early college years and how incredibly ignorant I was back then, and how exponential my spiritual and intellectual growth was in those last years of college and beyond. I made a mess of mistakes and felt at the time like I was simultaneously grabbing my destiny by the balls and flailing frantically about, but the fact remains that I learned so much about myself and my world during that time, and I laid a solid foundation for my mind to leap from. I just hope that I can continue to learn and grow and advance and be inspired for the rest of my life. (I'm definitely still way too ignorant about too many things, so I should probably just shift my focus from those things I think I've already "figured out"--retracing my steps might act as reinforcement but after a while it just gets repetitive.)

5 comments:

  1. Lovely look and great style!
    xoxo,
    Fashionhypnotised girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dress. I often feel like I know and learn so much less now then when I was still at school, it's one of my goals this year to try and actively learn something new. You always make interesting points about such things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eyeshadow is so great with your blue eyes!

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a refreshing and great look :)
    xxo

    ReplyDelete